Sunday 5 June 2011

3rd of June was officially show day! So the night before was spent doing those nitty gritty finishing touches and we had ourselves in bed by 5am. Equipped with two large suitcases and hand luggage my assistant and I were ready to conquer Brighton for the Couture show. 


On arrival at St Martins Church it was heaving with make-up and hair teams, naked models, camera crews the works all elegantly running around with either a frappaciano or a can of hairspray. The atmosphere was electric not to say chaotic in the least! Maybe this was due to the high redbull intake and lack of sleep..... who knows!everyone was on a high!


I'd barely been there 5 minutes and was getting bombarded with teams from all fields intergating me on if I needed help. I was ushered to my rail and introduced to my second dresser Pavi. I was being treated like royalty and had people fussing over me majorly!!! It made me feel claustrophobic, I really was in the spotlight now. 


One by one my models appeared for their first fitting (taking in to account no one had tried any of my garments until this point and it was a real gamble if anything was to fit) Luckily it was a success and I got straight down to doing the running order. Having worked as Emilio's stylist for many seasons now organising this part seems to flow easily. I had to find out who my quick changes were to make sure we could change in time for my show and the persons after. Most of us were all sharing the mods which added to the stress and pressure- but hey ive done worse!


Martha was my styled model. Along the walls were images of my ideal styled look and it was lush to see they were following my boards. As a designer you have so much control of your overall image it almost becomes quite surreal. I have had so much to organise in the short period ive been part of BFW but I still managed to do it. Seeing it come to life is such a climax and reward.



We done one rehearsal that day which took place at 3:30 four hours before the show. Must admit it was an absolute nightmare! So much so I wasnt convinced it was going to be an easy ride. Almost like a tragedy waiting to happen.

By this point tiredness started to kick in and everyone was becoming impatient with all the waiting around. Redbull was vastly disappearing and food was out of sight.

Alas 2000 subway sandwiches emerged and everyone indulged in a bit of fresh food which lifted our spirits completely. Hair and make up teams were back on the go, by now it was an hour till show time and everyone was already making their way in to the church to be seated.

We all took our places and waited for our call time. Models were all over the place as some had to get ready backstage due to all the quick changes there were. This meant I had to run backstage after changing a few of my mods in a separate building to go and finish doing the rest from the previous show. Absolute manic I tell you, but by now the adrenaline was pumping so much in my system there wasnt even enough time to think you just had to get on with it! I could have done with an extra dishing of a bitch slap though just to give me focus!

The church was completely packed! It looked absolutely beautiful with the high rised arched ceiling and stain glassed windows. Candle light flickered through the hall and gave off a nice relaxed vibe. 



I was 5th on the running order which meant I was in the first half before the interval. Tim Rhys show had just finished and models were tip toe-ing as fast as they could for their quick change....I needed to find Tori quick to put her in my closing outfit as this was not an easy yet practical dress to put on!

No comments:

Post a Comment