Monday 4 July 2011

international festival of young fashion designers of charleroi - belgium

Apologies for the absence over the last few weeks but as you can imagine A LOT has been going on.
During and after BFW I received some pretty fabulous emails!!


As you all might be aware I went to see a fortune teller back in May my cards read that I would be going to Europe at some point this year (I dont want to jinx myself) but one of first predictions came true a week later....I was sat in my living room when I got an email directly to my blackbezza....

Hello Hayley!

I'm Aline and I work for the International Young Fashion Designers Festival of Charleroi. This years edition will take place at the Palace of fine Arts of Charleroi, Belgium, on october 15th & 16th, 2011. The aim of our festival is to exhibit young designers that we consider as tomorrow's great names of fashion. Guest designers can exhibit their creations and also sell pieces.

We really love your work and would like to know if you would accept to take part to our exhibition market in our gallery during those two days, amongst different young talents of fashion.

Please have a look at our pressfile attached.

Housing and transportation can be provided if needed. 

So, are you interested? In case it actually does, technical details and further information will follow, of course!

Greetings
Aline Decat
Coordinatrice

+32 493 54 06 35
alinedecat@hotmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/fijcc 

30, rue de Marcinelle
6000 Charleroi
BELGIUM


Hi Hayley,

Thanks for your fast answer! That's great news. 

We try to have guests from different countries, so I can already tell you who "the belgian one" is, it's Celine Lellouche : http://www.celinelellouche.com/

For the rest, we cannot say yet, because you are one of the very first designers we contact this year. But I think you can have quite a good idea of the level and style we want by having a look at last year's line-up. As you can see, we try to reach many different styles.

The idea of the festival is to let people discover new talents, but you have to keep in mind that also many people will be there to buy original and/or unique clothes, so it's always nice if you have a collection (or two, or three) to sell, or accessories. This is also why we choosed to make it as an exhibition+ catwalk and not only catwalk. We ask 10% fees on the designers' sales.

About the housing, we can offer you to stay at a hostel or a bed&breakfast. If you want to stay at a hotel, it's ok, there are severals in the center of Charleroi, but it will be at your expense. For the transportation, it will depend on where you will be leaving from.

So, in order to complete the informations we have and can give you, and also so prepare the communication campaign, could you send us a little biography (a few sentences is enough), a few good pictures of your work in general, and a small description of what you will bring with you :) This is not urgent, but the sooner the better.

I will keep you informed with all the rest of course, and also with the confirmed guests. The website will be updated soon too, but if you have any questions, you can contact me by mail or phone.

Regards
Aline


 

As you can imagine I skimmed this email over and over until I totally freaked OUT! Hopefully this will happen so I can promote myself in Belgium and encourage other design students like myself that breaking in to the fashion industry is possible, and there are people out there that do appreciate unique work. At college or university I was always told my work would not sell and that I limited myself to the market. Part of this is true, but in a way I have appealed to a wider audience than anyone probably thought possible. I stick to what I said from the beginning: It is easy to be commercial but teach someone to be creative and unique is harder. My work can be toned down with the same concept in mind. But for the time being people seem to be enjoying the pieces I produce so I will continue down this path leaving my HayLai mark in Europe.........fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment